Sunday 18 March 2012

Task 4: Research Into Potential Target Audience

A while we were given questionnaires in our thriller groups to get people out fill out so we could see who our potential target audience was. I went out of school in order to find out from a different set of people whether they would like the idea of this thriller. Not only did I take into the account the opinions of people from outside of school but I also interviewed people of a number of age ranges. 

Friend, Aman Khan (17): 
I asked him what  he thought of the thriller and whether he would go to watch it in the cinema...
"Yeah, it sounds really good. I like the thriller genre and  I think the political and futuristic side to it makes it a lot more  interesting. It'd probably be really interesting to see in the cinema."





Dad, Lee Daley (49): 
"I think this kind of thriller has been done before, and each time nothing more original comes out. I think it's an idea with great potential but at my age you've definitely seen it all before. It's not for me... Unless it got insanely good reviews from critics." 




Little Cousin, Kiran (11): 
"I don't like films like this. They're boring. No one's happy in them! They always have the same story! I don't want to go see in the cinema..." 

























These are a few of the people that I interviewed and from what I had gathered it seemed the age range from between 15-25 would be most interested to see the film and these people were of foreign heritage. 

The kind of audience that i imagined would be attracted to this thriller would have (widely) been aged between sixteen and 35. I think that the majority of the audience would have been male but there would also be a fair few females. The film isn't aimed at a rich or poor audience in particular, it's a film that can be enjoyed by all social classes. I believe that the film would be more understandable and intellectually interesting to persons with a highly education. However, it could also potentially be enjoyed by people of less educational standards. I'm a sixteen year old and from a personal point of view I think this sub-genre of thriller is very interesting.



After having watched our own thriller with the audience made up of other media students, we received feedback from three questions. 

1. What do you think the basic plot of the thriller is? 

2. What do you think the key strengths of the thriller are and why? 

3. How do you think this thriller could be made even better? 

Responses to question one: 

"Someone downloaded something bad and then it ruined everyones computers and caused political conflict." 

"Security breach." 

"Conspiracy between the world leaders." 

"Presidents, about to be a mission." 

"Something about the government or the president or America sorting problems." 

"Political story." 

"President... attack of nations." 

"About countries." 

Responses to question two: 

"Editing and music was good." 

"Shots." 

"Good shots." 

"Editing." 

"Good shots of President." 

"Effective close up shots." 

"Nice music." 

"Nice camera angles and sounds are pretty cool." 

Responses to question three: 

"It could be more clear what is happening." 

"More plot, better transitions and credits." 

"Better set design to make the meeting more realistic." 

"I didn't understand it very well as there were a lot of shots of typing." 

"Mis-En-Scene." 

"Too much sound in the beginning, didn't quite know what it had to do with the rest..." 

"Music and acting." 

"Title font wasn't very effective..." 


It seems that from the responses we received it wasn't completely clear what the plot of the opening sequence was. The audience understood the basics of what the film was about but felt it could have been made clearer, particularly through the shots of typing etc. 

From my own point of view, I think that we could have completed the thriller a lot more and made it a lot more believable than it was. I think that the music, mis-en-scene and editing could have been a lot more effective and believable. 

The titles could have been better do and done more to apply to the sub-genre of political thriller. 

No comments:

Post a Comment